Friday, November 27, 2009

Stylistic Self-Portrait: Art Nouveau



In this assignment, our illustration firm happens to be creating a promotional booklet highlighting each of the illustrator on staff. And the Art Director asked each illustrator to create their own self-portrait in a style from art history.

So I chose the 'Art Nouveau' style for my self-portrait. Mainly because I am a fan of using florals and swirls on my art pieces and art nouveau focus a lot on using repeated patterns, florals, and swirls as its style. I did a lot of research for this art style so I can better portray it in my self-portrait. And most art nouveau style focused on a female figures with long flowing dresses who are usually symbolizing something the artist wants to portray. The style mostly has a nude faded color to it so that the focus is on the female figure.

Since each female in the style seems have an element that represents them, I decided to use butterfly in my self-portrait in which representing the transitions and growing I had to go through just like a butterfly's metamorphosis. For the portrait, I used the similar theme of art nouveau by having me in a flowing dress either sitting or coming out of the big patterned circle. As for the detailed patterns, I decided to use simple basic shapes such as circles and lines to create a more consistent base for the whole picture. I also used nude brownish color and reddish purple to give a bit of a contrast to the picture. I did not focus too much on details for my body because I did not want to stray away from the art nouvea style and have me look too realistic.

I could improve the illustration more by working more on the patterns, and the colors of the portrait. But overall, I did enjoyed working on it despite the time it consumes.

No comments:

Post a Comment